never fight a clown...

Friday, September 22, 2017

contrast & contradiction.


It is worth remembering that everything we do in our profession as story tellers is a contrast and or contradiction. What we are doing is not real. It is not actually a real event we are only dramatising life… a reality, yet what we are doing is a really happening. The whole process of making art is or rather could be debated as being unreal and yet real – hence my proposition it is a contrast and or contradiction. My reason for brining this up is because as an artist within this world of ‘make believe’ we are always in pursuit of trying to make sense within this contrast and contradiction. I need this unreal world to feel real to me.
My instinct is that this unreal reality must be; on some level, a neurological related experience; to feel deeply connected to my body and mind physiologically for it to make sense in order for me to have logical reactions and responses. I need to give over to the illusion of the imagined world I am generating. To achieve this successfully I need this world to be fully realised.

The other form of contrast and contradiction that exists for us as actors to grapple with is in human behaviour – we are all in some form or another contradictory in our behaviour – saying one thing but doing another. Maybe my point is being ok with this contrast and contradiction is a good thing. Being self-aware of it helps us with us in our profession. Especially when I hear actors say: my character wouldn’t do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment