never fight a clown...

Saturday, February 2, 2019

the foot bone is connected to the hip bone…


Every time I come back from The Paddy Crean International Workshop there are always loads of epiphanies running around in my subconscious that are yet to be fully realised. It usually takes months for them to eventually find their way to the surface of my conscious mind. This trip was a much the same, but one epiphany landed with me instantaneously.
 I was lucky enough to be observing a class by Anthony and Mary De Longis when Anthony made the smallest remark which rang bells for me. It was the smallest comment, and he probably acquired it from another master. But the expression finally gave me a new succinct way of explaining something I was always over explaining and over complicating to my students. “Your feet unlock your hips”
The reason this maxim was so insightful for me is that I often spend a lot of energy on student’s awareness of their ‘hip relationship” (ie where are your hips aligned and ensuring it’s a choice not an accident). But for a student to successfully navigate the concept of hip relationship they really need to be in complete awareness of what their feet are doing. Which I get; and have always ensured good footwork is happening – but the word ‘unlock’ in this principle is the key.
The muscles that support the tibia, fibula and feet bones allow the foot to either flex, extend the foot, flex or extend the toes and or support the structure of the foot. This complex system allows for the feet to move, rotate, supinate, pronate etc and thus provide the upper part of the legs and importantly the hips to have a greater range of movement and greater control and diversity in alignment.
For me the foot or should I say when all aspects of foot control and manipulation are used. Meaning the three points of contact: ball, heel and toes are used cohesively and independently of each other they support my hips and thus in turn my centre of gravity. By breaking the foot down into these six points of contact (i.e. three on each foot) it equips me with the dexterity and control I need for awareness of placement of my base, braking ability, potential for acceleration and stability. The feet really do have to potential to unlock our hips on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment